Friday, October 17, 2008

Thankful & Proud

I am not a daily blogger and love to roam the halls of cyberspace reading about others lives and enjoying their willingness to share their lives with the rest of us....and I always think nothing in my life is that interesting really, nor do I have a keen sense of wit and humor to be overly funny as some of these amazing creative people are, however I wanted to share this story about my son Joshua who is 19 and finding his way in young adulthood.

Last night Josh came home after 12 hours of hard work and walked in the door with a bag of Taco Johns. I playfully said "wow you brought me dinner thank you" and he did share his 6 pack and a pound with me! But that isn't the story....he tells me that he took a co-worker to Taco Johns to feed him because when they got back to the shop and everyone else had left it was just the two of them there and the guy starts making himself a sandwich and Josh said what are you doing and the guy tells Josh that the only time he gets to eat is if he eats at work because he is a young man with a girlfriend and two young kids (under age 3) and that he doesn't eat at home because he saves it for his young family. He shares with Josh that they have had their electricity and heat turned off because they can't afford to pay the bills and money is tight for groceries. Josh said "come on" and he took him to Taco Johns and bought him supper. They other young man cried and told Josh how much he appreciated his kindness and would never forget it.

I have thought about this all last night and today and can't tell you how much pride I have in Josh for being so kind and caring about others. I could tell he was deeply touched about this young man's predicament and how sad he felt for them and their struggles. Sometimes you wonder as a mother did I really instill good values and have your kids picked up on the lessons you try to teach in life and I am go grateful to have a son who cares enough about other people to reach out and help. Joshua I am so proud of you and love you to pieces.

No comments: