Wednesday, June 11, 2008

June 11, 2008

I am still reading through so many other blog pages and am so amazed at the talented and generous people in the world, sharing your lives with others. I am still trying to get the hang of this and am going to attempt to blog on a more regular basis.

Today has been a difficult day in our family, early this morning my adult daughter called me crying hysterically; her darling friend and companion for the past 15 years died. Abbie was a chocolate lab who has been the center of my daughter's life since her husband died very unexpectedly almost 8 years ago. It is a tragic story, they eloped in May 2000, 5 months later he turned 29 and dropped over dead two days later. He had a heart condition since a child but had a clean health report in April so it was shocking to say the least. He had gotten up at 4:00 in the morning and my daughter heard a crash and called to him when he didn't answer she ran to the kitchen to find him laying on the floor in cardiac arrest. She started CPR while also attempting to call 911....long story short he died later that morning never having regained consciousness. He was the love of her life and she has never gotten over his death. Since then her life has really revolved around Abbie. She has never had any desire to date again and has spent the last couple of years focusing on furthering her education. Abbie has been her confidant, support and love, she was such an expressive dog, she knew how to communicate in her own way and was such a sweet heart. I don't have grandchildren yet but as I like to say I do have 3 grand dogs! Abbie, and my daughter Kylie's, Jasmine and Lily! And yes they all come to visit when the girls do.

We just spoke last week about needing to consider putting her down due to her health problems but as I said she has been Lisa's companion and really her child for so long it is a difficult decision. This morning there was a thunder storm that frightened Abbie and she couldn't be calmed down and began to have great difficulty breathing. Lisa loaded her in the car and rushed to the vets office where she died. It is so very difficult to watch your children suffer and hurt, I don't think there is anything more heart wrenching for a mother. It doesn't matter their age, whether 5 or 30 it doesn't get any easier. You just wish you could take away the pain and make it all better. I have spent my day with her and she agreed to come home with me tonight and has been sleeping for the past couple of hours. It is difficult to understand why a good person may have to endure what seems like more than their share of heartache and what do you say to your child when they ask why would God allow this to happen this way. I realize that part of the trauma of today is also related to losing Rod years ago, so much of the event was similar to what she experienced with him and is like reliving it over again. Tonight all I can do is continue to pray for her and hope that she will be able to find peace in the coming days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came here to thank you for visiting my blog, and I hope you come by again soon. I see you are new to blogging, and I'd like to welcome you to the blogging world.

I am so sorry to read about your daughter's loss. Loosing a pet we love is hard enough, but it makes it even harder when they are your true companion.

Janet said...

Marcie,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for taking the time to comment. As you will learn, comments make a bloggers' day. It sounds like we have some things in common and should stay in touch.

I am so sorry about your daughter's pet. It is so hard to lose a loved one and as mothers it is so hard to watch a child in pain. I truly feel for both of you.

Janet

PS. Love the geraniums

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's loss. Can you let her know that I will pray for her this week?

I understand the pain of losing loved ones unexpectedly. I lost my Mom in a car accident when I was 19. It is not something I would ever wish on anyone else.

On a more cheerful note- Welcome to blogging!